A Homemade Life

I've recently started trying to make everything from scratch.  I know, I know, time is money. Who has the time for that? Who cares?  Well, I care and I make the time.  It's important to me.  ๐Ÿ˜€ The more and more I learned what's in a lot of what we use and eat, the more I realized I should start making some of my own supplies and foods. (There's a paragraph at the end explaining we aren't going too crazy with this change ๐Ÿ˜‰) We also found that making our own supplies will in the long run save us money.  There is an initial expense to start making all your own supplies, but it will all balance out pretty quickly.  Instead of going crazy and buyimg everything we need to start off, we have decided to make one item a week to help us change over. Our first week, I made laundry detergent. Along with making my own detergent, I decided to primarily hang the clothes out to dry.  It's easy to get into a routine of just throwing everything in the dryer!! That being said, on a rainy day that the cloth diapers need to be done, the dryer comes in handy!! 

Today I made healing lip balm.  The recipe is from Little House Living. It's a wonderful book. So far most of the recipes I've used have come from there.  
Since we started, I've made detergent, fabric softener, and lip balm.  So yes, we are three weeks in!! This will be a bigger week though, I'll be making dishwasher detergent, deodorant and bubble bath for the kiddos. A lot of he supplies overlap. 

Other things we've been making from scratch for a little while are yogurt, milk kefir, granola, bread and cookies. I know that last one is a stretch, but do you know what's in store bought cookies? Can you read all the ingredients ๐Ÿ˜

***Now I do want to say, we aren't going crazy.  When we are out and have had a long day, I'll buy the kids cracker and cookies to get them home. We will still get them donuts on special days.  I will still buy a loaf of bread if we are completely out. I plan on keeping a bottle or tablets of laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent around the house for emergencies.  Sometimes I put a regular diaper on Jordyn when we just don't have time for anything else.  If we are out and Daniel needs a Chapstick, we may have to buy one ๐Ÿ˜ฌ If Daniel and I go out on a date(Haha, this almost never happens), I will get whatever food on the menu that looks good!!! I could keep going on with examples on how we aren't going crazy, but I hope you get the point.  We are just trying to be healthier and more conscious of what we are buying and putting into our kids.  
Kefir 
Yogurt 
Homemade bread. 



Comments

Popular Posts